Htaccess Authentification can be made facil, only knowing the¬†right¬†steps to follow.
HTACCESS Auth –¬†files
- Lets assume that you want to secure the folder www/test. Go in any FTP client and find the document¬†.htaccess.¬†If the file doesn’t exist, just create one. In FileZilla, right click in the folder where you want to create the file,¬†New File¬†and write down¬†.htaccess.¬†
- Another file that we need to create is called¬†.htpasswd¬†and will contain the users and password which we will use for authentification. If you created this file also, move on to what the files must contain.
HTACCESS ¬†Auth – .htaccess content
Now that we have the 2 files, is the time to create the content of them.
For the .htaccess content, you will need something like this:
AuthType Basic AuthName "My Protected Area" AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd Require valid-user
Lets explain it a bit:
- The type of authentification will be basic: username and password.
- AuthName is a name that you can choose and will be displayed in the login alert.
- AuthUserFile is the path to .htpasswd file. How you find it? Well, we said that we will secure¬†www/test¬†folder. Go in that folder, and create an php file and write inside:
<?php echo¬†getcwd(); ?>
This will output an result like:¬†/home/www/test.¬†This you copy in the third line of htacces, so it will look like this:
- The last line requires and valid user to be able to login.
HTACCESS ¬†Auth – .htpasswd content
Now we will open the second file, the¬†.htpasswd¬†and we will enter there the users and passwords for each of them. Inside should look like this:
So, as you can see the format is the following:¬†username:password.
Notice that the password must be encoded in¬†MD5.
Here is a tool to help you make the content quicker. If you want to add more than 1 users with passwords, just do it like this:
test1:$apr1$uZ2obIfV$aY3NwFH66WxxRJrWf9xNe1 test2:$apr1$uZ2obIfV$aY3NwFH66WxxRJrWf9xNe1 test3:$apr1$uZ2obIfV$aY3NwFH66WxxRJrWf9xNe1 test4:$apr1$uZ2obIfV$aY3NwFH66WxxRJrWf9xNe1
After you saved the files and you will try to enter in your protected folder, you will see something like this:
If you decline this box, you will get error 401 – Unauthorized!
Thats all you need to do!
You found this article useful? Write your opinion bellow!